If you’re in search of a Super Bowl (or really any get-together) appetizer, look no further! These vegan rangoon will be a HUGE hit amongst your friends and family, I guarantee it. Think creamy, spicy Buffalo chicken dip but stuffed inside a crispy won ton wrap and dipped in vegan ranch. These vegan Buffalo chicken rangoon are incredibly easy and relatively quick to make, and of course, delicious!
What Are Rangoon?
When we hear the word ‘rangoon,’ most of us think of crab rangoon, sometimes also called crab puffs or crab wontons, which are fried dumpling appetizers. They are often served at American Chinese restaurants. A small amount of filling made of cream cheese, crab meat, garlic, and a few other flavorings is stuffed inside a won ton wrapper. The dumpling is then shaped into a triangle, a four-pointed star, a flower or purse-like shape, or twisted into a traditional won ton shape. The rangoon is then deep-fried until crunchy and golden brown and served with a dip such as sweet and sour sauce.
Crab Rangoon VS. Buffalo Chicken Rangoon
These vegan Buffalo chicken rangoon taste very different than crab rangoon. The filling is made of vegan cream cheese, vegan chicken, buffalo sauce, garlic powder, and onion powder. Both rangoon are crunchy, creamy, and full of flavor, but they taste completely different! I also serve the vegan Buffalo chicken rangoon with vegan ranch dip versus sweet and sour sauce, which I typically dip with my vegan crab rangoon.
The Ultimate Super Bowl Platter
If you plan to make these vegan Buffalo chicken rangoon for a get-together with friends and family, such as the Super Bowl, here are a couple of ideas of how to serve the rangoon. My go-to way of serving them is on a big platter, with a small bowl of my Homemade Vegan Ranch in the center. Then, I surround the ranch with the rangoon, carrot and celery sticks, and vegan Buffalo wings. To easily make buffalo wings, simply grill or saute large chunks of your favorite vegan chicken and then toss them in buffalo sauce. Then, I love sprinkling a few dill leaves over the platter for garnish!
If you make my vegan buffalo chicken rangoon recipe (or any of my recipes!), don’t forget to post a picture to Instagram, tag me @chefsummerstorm, and #gardengrub so I can see your recreation!
How to Make Vegan Buffalo Chicken Rangoon
- 1 pint vegetable/canola oil
- 15 vegan won ton wraps
Buffalo Chicken Filling
- 1/2 cup favorite vegan chicken, cooked according to its package instructions and cut into small bite-sized pieces (I used Daring's Original Flavor)
- 3/4 cup favorite vegan cream cheese (I used Kite Hill's)
- 1/4 cup Frank's RedHot Sauce
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
Buffalo Chicken Filling
- Add all ingredients to a mixing bowl and stir until evenly combined.
How to Fill the Won Tons
- 1. Place a heavy tablespoon of the filling in the center of a won ton wrap.2. With your finger, lightly wet all four edges of the wrap with water.3. To seal the won ton, bring the top and the bottom corners of the wrap above the filling and pinch them together. Then, bring the left corner into the top corner you just sealed, seal it into them, and then seal the left two edges shut. Repeat with the right side. Ensure the rangoon is sealed extremely well; otherwise, the filling will escape while the rangoon is deep-frying! *Please view my TikTok above the recipe if this is confusing!
How to Deep Fry the Rangoon
- 1. Preheat your pot or deep fryer of oil to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.2. Once the oil is at 350 degrees, gently place four wontons in the oil and cook for three minutes. Flip them over about halfway through to get the entire rangoon evenly browned and crunchy.3. Remove the crab rangoon with a slotted metal spoon or a pair of tongs and place them on a wire rack to allow the excess oil to drip off.4. Serve with vegan ranch for dipping! If creating a platter for the Super Bowl or a get-together, serve with carrot and celery sticks and vegan chicken tossed in buffalo sauce!
SAVE THIS RECIPE TO PINTEREST!