The BEST Vegan Crab Rangoon Recipe
Crab rangoon has taken over the internet lately! I’ll be scrolling on TikTok and see one crab rangoon recipe after another, but they’re never vegan recipes. So, of course, I had to take matters into my own hands, hehe. My vegan crab rangoon are super easy and quick to make and taste nearly just like the real thing! I cannot WAIT for you to give them a try!
What Are Crab Rangoon?
Crab rangoon, sometimes called crab puffs or crab wontons, are fried dumpling appetizers. They are often served at American Chinese restaurants. A small amount of filling made of cream cheese, crab meat, garlic, and a few other flavorings is stuffed inside a won ton wrapper. The dumpling is then shaped into a triangle, a four-pointed star, a flower or purse-like shape, or twisted into a traditional won ton shape. The rangoon is then deep-fried until crunchy and golden brown and served with a dip such as sweet and sour sauce.
These Vegan Crab Rangoon are SO Easy to Make!
This recipe takes me about 30 minutes from start to finish. First, I cook vegan crab cakes, chop them up, and combine them with vegan cream cheese, sugar, garlic powder, salt, soy sauce, and sesame oil for my filling. Then, I stuff the filling inside won ton wrappers and deep fry the ragoon until crunchy and golden brown. The most challenging part about this recipe is sealing the won tons into a rangoon shape. But, once you get the hang of it, it’s relatively quick and easy to do! Plus, they don’t need to look perfect. As long as the rangoon are sealed nice and tight, they’ll taste great! Finally, I dip them in either sweet and sour sauce or sweet chili sauce. These vegan crab rangoon are crunchy, creamy, and full of flavor, and I’m so excited for you to try them!
If you make my vegan crab rangoon recipe (or any of my recipes!), don’t forget to post a picture to Instagram, tag me @chefsummerstorm, and #gardengrub so I can see your recreation!
The BEST Vegan Crab Rangoon Recipe
- 1 pint vegetable/canola oil
- 8 vegan won ton wraps
- 2 Gardein mini crab cakes, cooked and chopped into small pieces (You can always substitute 1/4 cup of your favorite vegan crab cake mixture instead of those crab cakes.)
- 1/2 cup vegan cream cheese
- 2 tsp organic cane sugar
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp soy sauce
- 1/2 tsp sesame oil
- Add all ingredients to a small mixing bowl and stir until evenly combined.
How to Fill the Won Tons
- Place a heavy tablespoon of the filling in the center of a won ton wrap.
- With your finger, lightly wet all four edges of the wrap with water.
- To seal the won ton, bring the top and the bottom corners of the wrap above the filling and pinch them together. Then, bring the left corner into the top corner you just sealed, seal it into them, and seal the left two edges shut. Repeat with the right side. Ensure the rangoon is sealed extremely well; otherwise, the filling will escape while the rangoon is deep-frying! *Please view my TikTok above the recipe if this is confusing!
How to Cook the Rangoon
- Preheat your pot or deep fryer of oil to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Once the oil is at 350 degrees, gently place 4 wontons in the oil and cook for 3 minutes, flipping them over halfway through.
- Remove the crab rangoon with a slotted metal spoon or a pair of tongs and place them on a wire rack to allow the excess oil to drip off.
- Serve with your favorite sweet and sour sauce or sweet chili sauce for dipping!
SAVE THIS RECIPE ON PINTEREST!