These crispy vegan rice paper dumplings are quite possibly my new favorite dish! They’re super crispy on the outside, chewy, and filled with delicious Asian-inspired vegan pork and veggies. The recipe takes me around 30 minutes to complete, and I have so much fun while making them! If you’re an Asian food lover, you NEED to give my rice paper dumplings a try!
How to Make Rice Paper Dumplings
The main ingredient you need for these delicious dumplings is, of course, rice paper! For the filling, I use a combination of sauteed vegan ground pork and veggies, like cabbage, carrots, and green onions. If you’re not a fan of faux meat, you can omit it and replace it with tofu or even more veggies. Then, of course, the vegan pork and veggies are jazzed up with flavorful ingredients such as fresh minced garlic, minced ginger, soy sauce, and sesame oil.
To assemble a dumpling, I run a sheet of rice paper under hot water to soften it. Then, I place some filling in the center and wrap it up into a tight square-like shape. To ensure the filling is snuggly bundled inside the rice paper, I wrap it a second time. This ensures the dumpling will not fall apart, plus I love the slight chewiness it adds to it!
To cook the dumplings, I sear them in a pan with a bit of coconut oil until they’re ultra crispy and slightly golden brown on both sides. This takes around a total of eight minutes to cook, so some patience is required, but I promise it is so worth it!
The vegan rice paper dumplings are so crispy, chewy, juicy, and full of flavor. I am obsessed with how delicious they are and how easy and relatively quick they are to prepare! If you make my vegan rice paper dumplings recipe, don’t forget to post a picture to Instagram, tag me @chefsummerstorm, and #gardengrub so I can see your recreation!
How to Make Crispy Vegan Rice Paper Dumplings
Pork and Veggie Filling
- 1 tbsp coconut oil (You can also use vegetable/canola oil)
- 5 ounces OmniPork Ground (I use half of the package. You can also use extra firm tofu or another vegan pork instead!)
- 2 cups store-bought classic coleslaw mix
- 1 tbsp garlic cloves, peeled and minced
- 1 tsp fresh ginger, peeled and minced
- 1/8 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp pure sesame oil
- 2 green onions, small chopped
Pork and Veggie Filling
- Place a large saute pan over medium heat. Once hot, add in the coconut oil. Once the oil is hot, add in the vegan ground pork and cook according to its package instructions. If you are using tofu, cook it for around 5 to 6 minutes or until it is slightly browned.
- Add the coleslaw into the pan and cook for 2 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add the garlic, ginger, salt, and pepper into the pan and cook for 1 more minute, stirring constantly.
- Add the soy sauce and sesame oil into the pan, stir well, and immediately remove the pan from the heat.
- Lastly, add the green onions into the pan and stir until well combined. Place the filling into a container and set it in the refrigerator to cool down before assembling the dumplings.
How to Assemble the Dumplings
- 1. To assemble a dumpling, place a sheet of rice paper on a large plate.2. Run the plate with the rice paper under hot water in your sink for around 5 to 8 seconds. Do NOT hold it under for too long, or the rice paper will become too soft and not usable.3. While under water, rub your fingers around the paper to help soften it and keep it in the center of the plate.4. Lastly, after the paper is softened, gently rub your hand over the paper to remove all of the water.
- Keep the piece of rice paper on the plate. Place four slices of jalapeno in the center, creating a square-like shape. Place a heavy 1/4 cup of the pork and veggie filling on top of the jalapeno slices, creating a square-like shape.
- To wrap the dumpling, take the top half of the rice paper and tightly, but gently, pull it over the filling. Then, take the bottom half of the rice paper and fold it over the filling. Now, take the right side of the paper and fold it over the filling. Lastly, take the left side of the paper and fold it over the filling. Now you should have a square/rectangle dumpling.
- The dumplings need to be double wrapped, so repeat the very first assembly step and then place the wrapped dumpling in the center. Place the side with all of the excess rice paper folds face DOWN. So, the thinner side with no folds should be facing up; that way, when you wrap it this second time, both sides of the dumpling will have the same amount of rice paper folds. Please see my TikTok video above the recipe for a visual of the steps!
How to Cook the Dumplings
- Place a large saute pan over medium heat. Once hot, add in one tablespoon of coconut oil. Once the oil is hot, add in three of the dumplings. Cook both sides of the dumplings for 4 to 4 1/2 minutes, pressing them down every now and then to ensure they are flat to the pan, getting them evenly crispy.
- Repeat the previous step with the other two dumplings. *I do not cook all of the dumplings at the same time because if you cook them too closely together, they will more than likely touch each other at some point. Then the rice paper will tear, and the filling will spill out.
- Garnish the dumplings with chopped green onions if desired. Dip in a mixture of soy sauce and rice vinegar or your favorite Asian dipping sauce, and eat immediately!
SAVE THIS RECIPE ON PINTEREST!