This vegan chickpea chicken salad is full of flavor, super versatile, quick, and easy to make! It’s made with healthier ingredients too, so it is a perfect meal prep recipe. The lazy way of eating it is as a salad with some greens, but it’s also amazing to eat as a sandwich, wrap, or even a dip. I think you’ll be surprised at how delicious this chickpea chicken salad is because of how simple yet delicious it is!
What Are Chickpeas?
Chickpeas, also often referred to as garbanzo beans, are a type of legume. The most well-known chickpea has a round shape and a beige color, but other varieties are red, green, and black. Chickpeas are high in several nutrients and protein and are an extremely versatile legume too! Many people use chickpeas to create all sorts of delicious recipes, from savory ones to sweet ones, and even using the cooking liquid to mimic egg whites! Some of the most popular recipes using chickpeas are hummus, falafels, and salads.
This Recipe is SO Simple!
First, I smash a can of cooked and drained chickpeas to my desired texture using my hands and a fork. I like to smash them slightly, so there is still a good amount of texture, but not many whole chickpeas are left. Then, I mix in tahini, celery, onions, cranberries, walnuts, and a few other simple ingredients. This chickpea chicken salad recipe takes me around 10 minutes from start to finish! It’s creamy, crunchy, tangy, sweet, and full of flavor.
The Different Ways to Eat This Chickpea Chicken Salad
- Over your favorite bed of greens and topped with cherry tomatoes, vegan feta cheese, freshly cracked black pepper, and hemp seeds
- As a sandwich or wrap with avocado slices, your favorite greens or alfalfa sprouts, and tomato slices
- Serve is as a “dip” with your favorite crackers
If you make my vegan chickpea chicken salad recipe (or any of my recipes!), don’t forget to post a picture to Instagram, tag me @chefsummerstorm, and #gardengrub so I can see your recreation!
The BEST Healthy Vegan Chickpea Chicken Salad
- One 15 ounce can pre-cooked chickpeas, drained and rinsed off
- 1/4 cup celery, small diced
- 1/4 cup red onion, small diced
- 1/4 cup scallions, small chopped
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cranberries or golden raisins
- 1/2 cup plain, raw walnuts, small chopped
- 1/2 cup tahini (Make sure to stir the jar of tahini because it tends to separate)
- 3 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp raw apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- Add the chickpeas to a mixing bowl and use your hands or a fork to mash them slightly. Alternatively, you can use a food processor and pulse them a couple of times.
- Add the rest of the ingredients to the bowl and stir until evenly combined.
- Serving ideas:-Serve over a bed of mixed greens or in whole romaine leaves and top with cherry tomatoes, shredded carrots, and cucumber.-Serve inside your favorite bread or wrap with avocado, alfalfa sprouts, and tomato slices.-Use it as a "dip" with your favorite crackers.
SAVE THIS RECIPE ON PINTEREST!