PLEASE MAKE THIS RECIPE ASAP! I am OBSESSED. I load these cheesy fries with bulgogi jackfruit, spicy kimchi, sriracha aioli, avocado, and I garnish them with sesame seeds and fresh cilantro. If you are a spicy food lover and not afraid of unique flavors, then I am positive you will love these loaded vegan french fries!
What is bulgogi?
Bulgogi is traditionally made from thin slices of beef marinated in a sweet and savory sauce and then grilled. However, I am vegan, so I make my bulgogi with jackfruit. Jackfruit does not resemble sliced beef whatsoever, but more so a texture similar to pulled pork. My goal wasn’t to try and mimic sliced meat. I intentionally chose to use jackfruit because I wanted these fries to have “pulled pork” on top with the bulgogi flavor.
What does the bulgogi jackfruit taste like?
I flavor the jackfruit with a mixture of soy sauce, rice vinegar, chili garlic sauce, brown sugar, fresh garlic and ginger, onion, pear, and sesame oil. The combination of these ingredients makes the bulgogi jackfruit savory, spicy, and slightly sweet. I allow the pulled jackfruit to slow-cook. This way, it can essentially marinate in all of those flavors while also giving it a more realistic pulled pork texture.
These loaded vegan french fries are on the spicier side, but you can make measurement adjustments to the spicy ingredients as you see fit, if needed. Like I said, this dish is also a tiny bit sweet because of the sugar and pear in the jackfruit, so it balances the savory and spicy flavors of the dish perfectly. This is one of my most favorite jackfruit recipes I have created to this day!
What is all on these loaded vegan french fries?
First, I make homemade baked cheesy french fries tossed with strips of green onions. I top the seasoned fries with the slow-cooked bulgogi pulled jackfruit, warmed kimchi, simple homemade sriracha aioli, and avocado. I then garnish the top with white sesame seeds and fresh cilantro leaves. There are many different elements to this dish, but it is easy to create and put together. Lastly, do not let all of the various ingredients together scare you; the flavors marry together beautifully!
CHECK OUT THESE OTHER FUN APPETIZERS!
- EASY POTATO AND CHIVE VEGAN PIEROGIES (WONTON-STYLE!)
- THE ULTIMATE VEGAN MOZZARELLA STICKS
- ITALIAN VEGAN CHEESESTEAK SLIDERS
- THE ULTIMATE, CRUNCHY, FRIED VEGAN MAC AND CHEESE BALLS
If you make these loaded vegan french fries, please post a picture to Instagram, tag me @chefsummerstorm, and #gardengrub so I can read how you enjoyed it!
Korean-Style Jackfruit Loaded Vegan French Fries
Bulgogi Jackfruit (Yields roughly 2 cups)
- One 14 ounce can jackfruit in brine, NOT syrup
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1/2 cup rice vinegar
- 1 tbsp chili garlic sauce
- 3 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 1/2 cups yellow onion, thinly julienned
- 1 1/2 cups green pear, skin left on and small diced
- 2 tbsp fresh garlic, peeled and minced
- 2 tbsp fresh ginger, peeled and minced
- 2 tbsp sesame oil, 100% pure
Cheesy French Fries (Yields enough for 2-3 people)
- 2 Idaho potatoes, cut into 1/2-inch thick fries
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 3 green onions/scallions, roots removed and discarded, cut the onions in half the long way and then cut them into thirds horizontally
- 1/2 cup favorite shredded vegan cheddar cheese
Sriracha Aioli (Yields roughly 1/2 cup)
- 1/4 cup favorite vegan mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup favorite vegan sriracha
- 2 tbsp lime juice
For a 2-3 Person Serving of Loaded Fries You Will Need
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1/4 cup favorite vegan kimchi (I used the brand Wildbrine-Korean kimchi)
- The entire batch of cheesy french fries
- 1/2 cup bulgogi jackfruit
- 1/2 an avocado, thinly sliced
- White sesame seeds
- Fresh cilantro leaves
- Drain and rinse off the jackfruit very well. Pat the jackfruit until somewhat dry and then shred it, so it resembles shredded pork or chicken. Finely chop any hard pieces.
- Place the jackfruit and the rest of the ingredients, EXCEPT for the sesame oil, in a medium-sized saucepot. Stir well.
- Place the saucepot over high heat and bring the mixture up to a boil. Once it reaches a boil, cover the pot, and reduce the heat down to low. Cook for 45 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove the pot's lid, add in the sesame oil, turn the heat to medium-high, and cook the jackfruit for 3-5 minutes. Stir it frequently to ensure it doesn't burn. The jackfruit should caramelize and turn slightly brown. *If the pot you are using isn't very wide with a lot of surface area, it may be better to transfer the jackfruit to a large saute pan so it can brown easier.
Cheesy French Fries
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit and line a large sheet pan with a piece of parchment paper.
- Toss the sliced potatoes together with the olive oil. Then sprinkle over the garlic powder, onion powder, smoked paprika, salt, and pepper, and toss well to coat the potatoes evenly. Evenly lay the potatoes in a single layer on the prepared sheet pan and hold the bowl to the side-do not wash it out. Pop the sheet pan on the middle oven rack and bake the fries for 35 minutes, flipping them over half-way through.
- In the meantime, place the cut green onions in the same bowl you seasoned the fries. Rub the onions around in the bowl to pick up the leftover oil and seasonings. After the fries have cooked for 35 minutes, lay the prepared green onions across the top of the fries. Bake the fries for another 5 minutes.
- Now, pack the fries closely together and evenly spread the shredded vegan cheddar cheese on top.
- Bake the fries for another 5 minutes or until the cheese has completely melted.
- Add the ingredients into a small mixing bowl and stir until well combined. Alternatively, place the ingredients into a squeeze bottle and then shake it very well.
How to Finish and Assemble the Loaded Fries
- Place a small saute pan over medium-high heat. Once hot, add in the olive oil, followed by the kimchi. Saute the kimchi for 2 minutes to get it hot and lightly browned.
- To assemble the loaded fries, first place the fries down on a plate. Then, add the bulgogi jackfruit across, followed by the warmed kimchi, a drizzle of sriracha aioli, sprinkling of sesame seeds, the sliced avocado, and however much cilantro you'd like!