This recipe creates one large birthday cake vegan cinnamon roll! Now, if that doesn’t scream delicious, then I don’t know what does! This single-serving dessert is perfect for those of you who perhaps live alone and don’t want to make and eat an entire batch of cinnamon rolls by yourself, haha. This also makes for an excellent birthday treat for a loved one because it’s super cute and, of course, delicious! This cake batter vegan cinnamon roll tastes like a birthday cake and a classic cinnamon roll had a buttery, sugary, fluffy, confetti love child. How amazing does that sound!?
Birthday cake and cinnamon roll had a baby!
This dessert is literally a birthday cake and cinnamon roll’s love child. That is the clearest way I can describe this deliciousness to you. I make the dough with traditional cinnamon roll dough ingredients. However, I also add confetti cake mix into the dough, which does affect the final texture. As a result, I would say its texture leans more towards a traditional cinnamon roll, but the cake mix gives it a slightly fluffy cake-like look and feel.
What does the vegan birthday cake cinnamon roll taste like?
This vegan cinnamon roll tastes like the best of both worlds! The flavor tastes like a traditional cinnamon roll, but with a hint of birthday cake. This is because a classic birthday cake (I’m mainly referring to confetti or funfetti birthday cake) is essentially just vanilla with sprinkles added into it!
For the inside of the cinnamon roll, I fill it with a classic butter, brown sugar, and cinnamon filling. Then, I chose to be lazy for the frosting this time. I bought this one from the store and added food coloring into it because it was my birthday, so I could do that and be as lazy as I wanted to, haha. However, I have written a simple vegan frosting recipe for you to follow if you’d like! It isn’t as thick and whipped as the one you see in the photos, but it is delicious nonetheless! If you love cinnamon rolls and birthday cake, there is no way you could not LOVE this beautiful creation!
If you make my cake batter vegan cinnamon roll, don’t forget to post a picture to Instagram, tag me @chefsummerstorm, and #gardengrub so I can see your recreation!
Single-Serving Birthday Cake Vegan Cinnamon Roll
- Rolling Pin
- Cooking thermometer
- 1 tbsp organic cane sugar
- 1 tsp active dry yeast
- 1/4 cup plain, unsweetened soy milk, warmed to 115 degrees Fahrenheit- IMPORTANT! (You can also use almond or cashew milk)
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp vegan butter, melted (Plus more for greasing)
- 1/2 cup + 1 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup vegan confetti cake mix (You can also use vanilla cake mix)
- 1/8 tsp kosher salt
You Will Also Need
- Vegan sprinkles
- In a small bowl, stir together the sugar, yeast, and warmed milk. Let this rest for 10 minutes or until it is super bubbly. If your mix does not get bubbly, this may mean your yeast is old, or the milk was too hot or cold. If this is the case, please start over.
- Once the yeast mix is frothy, add the vanilla and melted butter into it.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, cake mix, and salt.
- Now, pour the wet mix into the dry mixture and stir until well combined. Using your hands, bring the dough together and form it into a ball. Avoid messing with the dough too much, or you'll create a chewy cinnamon roll.
- Grease a large mixing bowl with butter, place the dough inside and cover it directly with plastic wrap. Place this in a dark, warm place (such as the oven) and let it rest for one hour.
- Add all of the ingredients to a small mixing bowl and stir until evenly combined.
How to Assemble & Bake the Cinnamon Roll
- After the dough has rested for one hour, dust the counter and the top of the dough with flour. Roll the dough into a rectangle that is 12 inches long and roughly 2 to 3 inches wide. Occasionally lift the dough and sprinkle flour underneath it to keep it from sticking to the counter.
- Evenly spread the cinnamon sugar filling across the dough, leaving the outer 1/4 edges completely clean.
- Now, starting from the bottom, roll the dough up as tight as you can. Then, if you want the cinnamon roll to have a slightly cleaner look, trim a tiny slice off one end.
- Grease a nonstick sheet pan or baking dish with vegan butter. Place the cinnamon roll into the pan, with the clean side that you cut facing up. Gently press down on the cinnamon roll to make it less tall and more round. To help seal the end flap of the dough, I like to tuck it under the bottom of the cinnamon roll slightly.
- Place a piece of plastic wrap on top of the cinnamon roll and let it rest in a dark, warm place for one hour.
- Then, preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Remove the plastic wrap off of the cinnamon roll. Place it on the middle oven rack and bake it for 23-25 minutes, rotating the pan halfway through.
- Allow the cinnamon roll to mostly cool, then cover it with the frosting and sprinkles!
- Make the frosting just before serving the cinnamon roll. Add all of the ingredients into a small bowl and stir until entirely smooth. I want to note that the frosting you see in the photos is store-bought with added food coloring. However, I have made my frosting several times before, and it is, of course, delicious!
Check out these other delicious desserts!
- Single-Serving Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookie
- Easy Vegan Dunkaroo Dip
- Vegan Rocky Road Cookies
- Strawberry & Cream Cheese Vegan Danish
- Saltine Cracker Vegan Toffee
- Whipped & Layered Classic Strawberry Vegan Cheesecake
- Better Than Sex Vegan S’mores Chocolate Chip Cookies
SAVE THIS RECIPE ON PINTEREST!