This watermelon slushie is the hottest new summertime drink! It tastes like a fruity, frozen mojito but with the health benefits of sea moss. If you’re feeling extra, you can even add in a splash of liquor such as rum to create a daiquiri! Trust me; you’re going to want to make this watermelon slushie ASAP, with or without the liquor!
Okay, but WHAT IS SEA MOSS?
Sea moss is a spiny-looking sea plant similar to that of algae and seaweed. It grows in the water near the rocky Atlantic coasts, between North America and Europe.
This plant contains minerals our bodies need daily, such as iron, calcium, phosphorus, potassium, magnesium, and zinc! It is known for benefitting heart health, weight loss, and blood sugar management, in addition to thyroid, gut, and immune health. Talk about a powerhouse of an ingredient!
What does sea moss taste like?
It tastes like NOTHING! Seriously! It’s the weirdest thing! When it comes to its texture, the best way to describe it is to think of it as an ultra-smooth, thick, gelatin-like apple sauce. Since this sea plant tastes like nothing and has a smooth texture, it makes for an extremely versatile ingredient!
What are all of the different ways I can use this plant?
First, sea moss needs to be soaked for several hours and it it is then blended with water to create a gel. Then, you can add the gel to any recipe you see fit, such as smoothies, coffee, jams, soups, oatmeal, etc.! My favorite way to use sea moss gel is by adding it into smoothies. In this recipe post, I share how to make an incredible watermelon slushie with the sea moss gel. It is my new favorite drink! It seriously reminds me of a fruity, frozen mojito, especially if I add in a splash of rum!
PSST! Take a peek at my ‘tiparooskis,’ located below the written recipe, for some fun tips!
If you make my sea moss and watermelon slushie, don’t forget to post a picture to Instagram, tag me @chefsummerstorm, and #gardengrub so I can see your recreation!
Vegan Watermelon Slushie with Sea Moss
Sea Moss Gel (Yields 3 Cups)
- 1 cup dried sea moss
- 2 cup water
- 2 cups seedless watermelon (Make sure it is completely frozen!)
- 1 cup strawberries, frozen
- 1/4 cup homemade sea moss gel
- 1 whole lime, juiced, plus 2 lime wedges or wheels for garnishing
- 1/4 cup water, plus 1 to 2 tbsp more if needed
- 2 tbsp light agave nectar
- 10 fresh mint leaves, plus more for garnishing
Sea Moss Gel
- Rinse the sea moss extremely well to remove any debris that may be lingering in it. Then soak it in clean water for thirty minutes. Repeat this one more time.
- After you've completed step one, soak the sea moss in clean water(please do not use tap water) and place it in the fridge overnight or for at least ten hours. Ensure the sea moss has plenty of water covering it because it will enlarge slightly as it soaks up some water.
- The following day, drain off the water and place the sea moss in a high-powered blender along with two cups of clean water. Blend on high until EXTREMELY smooth.
- Pour the gel into a large mason jar and hold it in the refrigerator for up to four weeks! As the sea moss gel chills, it will thicken slightly. Then, enjoy the gel in your favorite foods (such as smoothies, coffee, oatmeal). Consume 1 to 4 tablespoons per day. You can also use the gel as a simple face mask!
- Add all of the ingredients into a high-powered blender and blend until extremely smooth!
- Garnish with a lime wedge and a sprig of fresh mint! *Also, read my 'tiparooskis,' located below this recipe, for some fun tips!
Welcome to my tip section of the sea moss and watermelon slushie! Here I provide my top tips to help you perfect the recipe. Sometimes, I also give substitute suggestions that I think you may find helpful.
- In the written recipe, I have water listed under the ‘Watermelon Slushie’ ingredients. However, if you would like to turn this slushie into perhaps a smoothie bowl, skip adding in the water, so it is thicker in the end! If you have a hard time blending it without the water, then add in a tablespoon or two until it blends easier. Then, top your smoothie bowl with ingredients like fresh berries, granola, nuts or seeds, and coconut flakes!
- Add a splash of your favorite rum, vodka, or even tequila into your slushie! I briefly mentioned this in the post, but adding one of these liquors takes the slushie up a whole different level and makes for an incredible frozen cocktail!