Cheese-Stuffed Vegan Pretzel Bites
Soft pretzels just got a makeover!!! These vegan pretzel bites are easier to make than traditional soft pretzels, and they’re stuffed with melty, gooey vegan cheese, making them super fun and delicious! And although they may look difficult, I think you will be surprised at how simple and fun they are to make. Within two hours, you can have delicious cheese stuffed vegan pretzel bites, so head down to the recipe and start baking!
A Simple Appetizer or Snack Recipe
These are a breeze to whip up and take little time and effort. And the time and effort the recipe does require are fun! I find making these to be very therapeutic because it’s simple, so I don’t feel stressed or overwhelmed in any way. So please trust me when I tell you that even if you are a newbie baker, this recipe will surprise you with how simple it is to prepare.
First, I let the standing mixer do all of the dirty work by kneading the ingredients together. This saves me so much time! I then let the dough rest for one hour, cut it into equal-sized pieces, fill them with cheese, and roll them into balls. Next, I boil them, dip them in vegan egg wash, top them with sea salt, and bake them until deep golden brown. Tearing these bad boys open is the most satisfying part about these because they’re filled with a pool of delicious melty, gooey vegan cheese. And who doesn’t love a good cheese pull!?
Vegan Pretzel Bite Filling Ideas
What’s super fun about these vegan pretzel bites is there are endless fillings you can do! For these pretzel bites, I filled half with vegan American cheese and half with vegan pepper jack cheese. But look at the list below, and feel free to stuff them with any of those fillings instead!
- Any cheese of choice
- Pepperoni and mozzarella
- Hot dog and American cheese
- Jalapeno cream cheese
- Cinnamon sugar cream cheese
I am an appetizer fiend. A lot of times, I honestly would prefer to have a plate with multiple appetizers over a regular meal because they’re just so fun. And don’t get me wrong, I love traditional soft pretzels, but something about cheese-stuffed and mini versions of foods makes me so happy. So it’s safe to say that I am obsessed with these vegan pretzel bites, and I hope you soon will be too!
If you make my cheese-stuffed vegan pretzel bites or any of my recipes, don’t forget to post a picture to Instagram, tag me @chefsummerstorm, and #gardengrub so I can see your recreation!
Cheese-Stuffed Vegan Pretzel Bites
- Stand mixer with dough hook attachment
- Cooking thermometer
- 1 1/2 tsp organic cane sugar
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 3/4 cup water, warmed to 110 degrees Fahrenheit- IMPORTANT!
- 1 1/8 tsp active dry yeast
- 2 tbsp vegan butter, melted, plus more for greasing
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 10 cups water
- 1/3 cup baking soda
- 3 tbsp liquid Just Egg + 1 tbsp water
- Course sea salt, for sprinkling on the pretzels bites
- 20 cubes of favorite vegan cheese (In block or slice form, then cut into roughly 1-inch cubes! Do not use shredded cheese, as it will be difficult to stuff into the dough. For flavors, I love using vegan American, cheddar, or pepper jack cheese!)
- Add the sugar, salt, and the 3/4 cup of warmed water into the bowl of a stand mixer and stir well. Sprinkle the active dry yeast on top and let this rest for 10 minutes. The mixture should then be super frothy; if not, your yeast is spoiled, or your water wasn't at the correct temperature, so please start over.
- Now, add the melted butter and flour to the bowl. Using a dough hook attachment, mix on low speed until well combined. Then, change the speed to medium and knead the dough for 4 minutes.
- In the meantime, grease a large mixing bowl with some vegan butter or neutral-flavored cooking oil spray. After the dough has finished kneading, roll it around in the greased bowl to lightly coat it, place a piece of plastic wrap directly on top of it, and cover the bowl in plastic wrap. Let the dough rest in a dark, warm place for 1 hour or until doubled in size.
- Once the dough has rested for 1 hour, preheat the oven to 450 degrees Fahrenheit. Line a large sheet pan with parchment paper and set it aside.
- Lightly grease your counter with vegan butter or neutral flavored cooking oil spray. Then, punch the dough once down the center and turn it out onto the greased counter. Next, cut the dough into 20 equal balls and place a piece of plastic wrap on them to keep them from drying out.
- Bring a medium-large pot with 5 cups of water up to a rolling boil. While that is heating up, move on to the next step.
- Working with one piece of dough at a time, lightly flatten it in the palm of your hand, place a cube of cheese in the center, tightly pinch the edges of the dough together to enclose the piece of cheese, then roll the dough into a ball. Place under the peace of plastic wrap, and continue stuffing and rolling the rest of the pieces of dough.
- Once the pot of water is boiling, add the baking soda.
- Now, drop in half the dough balls and cook them for 30 seconds. Then, using a slotted spoon, remove them, let the excess water drip off, and place them on the prepared baking sheet. Repeat this step with the other half of the dough balls.
- In a small bowl, stir the liquid Just Egg and one tablespoon of water together.
- Once the dough balls are cooled down on the outside, roll one at a time into the egg mixture, making sure to coat the entire thing. Then, with one hand, hold the dough ball over a plate, and with your other hand, lightly sprinkle sea salt all around the dough ball. Place it back on the baking sheet. Repeat this step with all dough balls.
- Place the pan on the middle oven rack and bake for 10-12 minutes, or until medium-dark golden brown, rotating the pan halfway through.
- Enjoy! *I always eat them on their own, but they'd be great with your favorite dipping sauce as well!