Stop giving Starbucks all your money, and make this copycat brown sugar oatmilk shaken espresso from the comfort of your own home instead! It tastes nearly identical to the original one from Starbucks, and it is quick, easy, and much cheaper to make from scratch. Don’t be surprised if this brown sugar shaken espresso becomes your new go-to coffee!
Homemade > Starbucks
YA’LL. I’m not kidding you when I say this copycat Starbucks brown sugar shaken espresso is the real deal. It reminds me of a brown sugar oatmeal cookie with the addition of coffee. And it’s chilled over ice, which is my favorite kind of coffee drink. It is so creamy and dreamy and delicious. I could drink this every single morning. Every. Single. Morning! And the fact that I am saving so much money by making it at home and not driving and handing it over to Starbucks makes me so happy.
What’s in a Starbucks Brown Sugar Oatmilk Shaken Espresso?
- Brown sugar simple syrup
- Creamy oat milk
- *Optional: A splash of pure vanilla extract!
It takes Less Than 15 Minutes to Make
This brown sugar oatmilk shaken espresso takes less than 15 minutes to make, and even less if you already have the brown sugar simple syrup prepared ahead of time! This recipe requires three simple steps: to make the brown sugar simple syrup, espresso shots, and the drink itself, which are all very easy to prepare.
First, I make the simple syrup, which I do by simmering brown sugar with water until dissolved. So easy. Then, I make the espresso shots, which by the way, I have a fun hack for you in case you do not have an espresso machine! I grind coffee beans, add them to my French press, and let it steep with boiling water. Of course, nothing beats espresso shots from a professional machine, but this way still tastes great and gets the job done! Lastly, I prepare the drink by adding a bunch of ice, ground cinnamon, espresso shots, and brown sugar simple syrup to a shaker, and I shake it until it’s semi-frothy. Then I dump it into a tall glass and finish it off with creamy oat milk. It is so so tasty and TOTALLY worth making yourself!
If you make my copycat Starbucks brown sugar oatmilk shaken espresso or any of my recipes, don’t forget to post a picture to Instagram, tag me @chefsummerstorm, and #gardengrub so I can see your recreation!
Copycat Starbucks Brown Sugar Shaken Espresso
- French press OR espresso machine
Brown Sugar Simple Syrup
- 1/2 cup brown sugar (I use Swerve because it has 0 calories and 0 grams of sugar, but feel free to use regular brown sugar!)
- 1/2 cup water
Espresso Shots (Yields about 5 ounces/shots)
- 1/2 cup favorite coffee beans, finely ground
- 1 cup boiling water
- Tiny pinch of salt
For One Drink You Need
- Few dashes ground cinnamon
- 3 ounces/shots espresso (Roughly 1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons)
- 1 ounce/shot homemade brown sugar simple syrup (Roughly 2 tablespoons)
- Favorite creamy oat milk
- *Optional: A tiny splash of pure vanilla extract (This is not in the original recipe, but it adds a lovely extra touch of flavor!)
Brown Sugar Simple Syrup
- Add the ingredients to a small saucepan, place over medium-high heat, and bring to a low boil.
- Once boiling, turn the heat down to medium-low and cook until the sugar is dissolved. This will only take about a minute or so!
- Allow to cool down at room temperature, then pour into a glass jar and store it in the refrigerator.
- Add the ground-up coffee beans, salt, and boiling water to a French press. Stir well, cover, and let rest for 5 minutes.
- Then, slowly press the French press down.
How to Make One Drink
- Add two large handfuls of ice to a cocktail shaker or a tall glass, about 16 ounces worth.
- Add in a few dashes of cinnamon. I do about 4-5 dashes because I love cinnamon!
- Then add in the espresso and brown sugar simple syrup.
- Shake vigorously 12 times.
- Pour the mixture, ice included, into a tall glass and top it off with oat milk! Add however much or little oat milk you'd like depending on how strong you want the drink to taste. Stir well, and enjoy!