If you’ve gone vegan and miss being able to use honey, then you’re in for a TREAT! My vegan honey recipe requires just three ingredients and is extremely easy to make. It also looks, feels, and tastes nearly just like true honey!
Why is honey not vegan?
Vegans try their best to avoid all forms of animal exploitation, including bees! Honey is made by bees, for bees. The bee’s health can be sacrificed when it is harvested by humans. Honey is literally the energy source of bees, and without it, they would simply starve and die. Honey contains essential micro-nutrients, and it is not uncommon for bee farmers to replace their honey that was on the hives with a sugar substitute. This sugar substitute is absolutely terrible for the bees. If you want to read more about why honey is not vegan, check out this informative post by The Vegan Society!
This recipe requires just THREE simple ingredients!
I make my vegan honey substitute with just three ingredients, and it’s so easy to prepare! First, I add pure apple juice, sugar, and lemon juice into a saucepot and boil it for around half an hour. Then I pour it into a glass jar and pop it into the refrigerator to chill completely. Within a few hours, it is perfectly thick and ready to be used! This plant-based honey looks feels and tastes nearly just like the real thing!
The perfect honey substitute does not exist- WAIT, yes it does!
I don’t think a honey substitute can get any more realistic than this one! You can use this vegan honey as a honey replacement for any recipe or dish you would typically use honey! This recipe is a fantastic substitute because, like I previously mentioned, it looks, feels, and tastes nearly just like the real thing. I like to add mine into hot tea, on peanut butter and banana toast, over yogurt parfaits, and even in savory dishes, just to name a few. I love keeping a jar of this in my fridge at all times because it takes almost no effort to make, is super convenient, and lasts a long while!
If you make my plant-based honey recipe, don’t forget to post a picture to Instagram, tag me @chefsummerstorm, and #gardengrub so I can see your recreation!
How to Make 3-Ingredient Easy Vegan Honey
- Add all of the ingredients into a medium-sized saucepot, place it over high heat, and bring it up to a boil, constantly stirring to dissolve the sugar and prevent it from sticking to the bottom of the pot.
- As SOON as it is at a steady boil, turn the heat down to medium/medium-high and cook it at a medium and steady boil for 35 minutes. If the liquid bubbles to the top of the pot and looks like it may boil over, turn the heat down ever so slightly.
- Stir occasionally.
- Then, remove it from the heat and allow it to cool down slightly at room temperature. Lastly, pour the vegan honey into a glass jar and place it in the refrigerator to cool completely. ***The vegan honey will look somewhat loose right now, but it will be much thicker once it is cold!
- Store the vegan honey in the refrigerator.
Welcome to my tip section of the plant-based honey recipe! Here I provide my top tips to help you perfect the recipe. Sometimes, I also give substitute suggestions that I think you may find helpful.
- If once your honey is completely chilled and you feel like you’d like it a bit thicker, you can always pour it back into a saucepot and boil it a little longer. If you cooked it for 35 minutes at a consistent, medium boil, you will not have this problem. But I figured I would give a solution in case you find yourself wanting it thicker!