Healthy Cashew Curry Vegan Chicken Salad
If you’re a big fan of chicken salad and curry, then this recipe is PERFECT for you. It is the best of both worlds! This vegan chicken salad is full of curry flavor, savory, and slightly sweet from the addition of dried fruit. It is incredible turned into a sandwich or wrap or eaten with crackers. It’s also easy, quick to make, and on the healthier side!
This vegan chicken salad is a great meal prep recipe!
Since it is on the healthier side and is easy and quick to make, I love preparing it on a Monday. Then, I have a leisurely go-to lunch ready for the rest of the week. This is great since I am such a busy person!
I think this is a healthy recipe, but I know people have their own opinion of what is and isn’t healthy. So, make sure to read my “TIPAROOSKIS.” They are located below the recipe. I give a substitute suggestion to make this recipe even healthier if you’re not a big fan of mock meat.
The secret weapon of this recipe is avocado!
Avocados are the base of the chicken salad, other than the chicken itself. Typically chicken salads contain mayonnaise, but that’s a very unhealthy ingredient. I choose to use avocado instead because it is a super creamy and healthy fat. The curry powder nearly entirely masks the flavor. So if you’re an avocado hater, I think you’ll still enjoy this recipe!
With that being said, I think most people are aware that once avocado oxidizes, it starts to turn brown. This makes the salad turn slightly brown as the days go on, but it doesn’t change the flavor. If I’m honest, the salad doesn’t look all that aesthetically pleasing from the get-go. So, changing from a pukey green color to a slightly more brown pukey green color isn’t the end of the world, haha. It’s the flavor that matters the most, in my opinion, and the flavor is fantastic!
My go-to ways of eating this vegan chicken salad:
- Vegan chicken salad sandwich- Bread, chicken salad, lettuce, tomato, red onion
- Vegan chicken salad wrap- Whole wheat tortilla, chicken salad, alfalfa sprouts, tomato
- Served with crackers– Topped off with more dried fruit and cashews
SANDWICH LOVER?? Check out this INSANE Mojo Artichoke “Pulled Pork” Vegan Cuban Sandwich. It is one of my favorite recipes because it is ridiculously flavorful!
If you make any of my recipes, don’t forget to post a picture to Instagram, tag me @chefsummerstorm, and #gardengrub so I can see your recreation!
Healthy Cashew Curry Vegan Chicken Salad
- 2 cups vegan chicken (I use one 10 ounce bag of Gardein's meatless chick'n strips) *See TIPAROOSKIS below recipe for a healthier/cleaner option!
- 2 tbsp + 1 tsp curry powder
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 2 avocados, ripe
- 2 tbsp raw apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/2 cup red onion, small diced
- 1 celery stick, small diced
- 1/4 cup golden raisins
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup plain, raw cashews, roughly chopped
- Cook the vegan chicken according to it's package instructions. Place the chicken in a bowl and set it in the fridge until it is completely cooled down. Cut the chicken into small bite-sized pieces.
- Combine the curry powder, salt, and pepper in a small bowl. Pour roughly half of the seasoning blend over the chicken pieces and toss to coat them evenly.
- In a medium-sized mixing bowl, mash the avocados until smooth. Add the other half of the seasoning blend, the apple cider vinegar, and lemon juice into the avocados and stir well.
- Add the vegan chicken and the rest of the ingredients into the bowl of the mashed avocados. Stir everything together until evenly combined.
- Enjoy the chicken salad in a sandwich or wrap, or with crackers!
Welcome to the tip section of the vegan chicken salad recipe! Here I provide my top tips to help you perfect the recipe. Sometimes, I also give substitute suggestions that I think you may find helpful.
- Not a fan of mock meat? I got you! Skip the vegan chicken and replace it with equal parts cooked chickpeas. Mash the chickpeas ever so slightly. Now you have a much cleaner vegan “chicken” salad!
- Save the avocado pits and then place them into the vegan chicken salad container. The pits will help slow down the avocados from turning brown.