If you thought crepes are hard to make, then think again! This recipe is straightforward to prepare, and the crepes are not all that difficult to cook either. These easy vegan crepes are perfectly thin, soft, and tender and you can stuff them with either sweet or savory fillings!
What are crepes?
Crepes are thin, delicate French-style pancakes made without any leavener, so they don’t ever rise the way pancakes do. They are often eaten at breakfast or brunch, but it isn’t uncommon to have them for dessert. With that being said, they can be filled with both savory and sweet fillings!
Making crepes are not nearly as scary or complicated as you may think!
My whole life, I have always looked at crepes as such an intimidating dish. But they’re seriously not that scary! You don’t need any fancy-shmancy cooking tools. Sure, having specific crepe-making kitchenware would be nice, but it’s not necessary. You need a saute pan and a spatula to cook the crepes, that is it!
To make the crepe batter, I whisk together all-purpose flour, sugar, cornstarch, and salt. The cornstarch helps bind the crepes, making them nice and stable since they are more delicate. Then, I whisk in almond milk, water, and melted vegan butter until completely smooth.
To cook the crepes, I first melt vegan butter in a large saute pan. Then, I quickly spread across a thin layer of the crepe batter to fill the pan’s bottom. Once it’s nearly cooked through, I flip it over just as I would with a pancake and finish cooking it through. These really are super easy vegan crepes!
You NEED to try out this FUN TREND!
As you can see in the photo above, I’ve made four sections with different fillings on the crepe. Then, I fold it to create a layered triangle and cook it inside of a waffle iron. I first saw this as a trend on TikTok, but with tortillas. I don’t know if anyone else has tried the trend with crepes, but I thought it would taste delicious, and OMG, was I more than right! The stuffed crepe waffles’ final result tastes like a combination of crepes, waffles, and funnel cakes. It’s the most delicious and fun dessert I’ve had in a LONG time!
A few crepe filling ideas:
- Vegan Nutella, chopped hazelnuts, banana, vegan white chocolate (As seen in picture above.)
- Sweetened cream cheese and berries or peaches
- Pesto and chick’n
- Mushrooms and spinach
- Vegan scrambled eggs and sausage or bacon (I think the maple sausage and egg filling from my Breakfast Egg rolls recipe would be delicious inside these crepes!)
If you make my vegan crepe recipe, don’t forget to post a picture to Instagram, tag me @chefsummerstorm, and #gardengrub so I can see your recreation!
How to Make Easy Vegan Crepes
- 6 tbsp vegan butter, for cooking the crepes
Folded Nutella-Banana Crepe Waffle
- 2 tbsp vegan Nutella
- 3 tbsp chopped roasted hazelnuts
- 10 slices of banana
- 3 tbsp vegan white chocolate chips
- Organic powdered sugar, for dusting
- Maple Syrup, 100% pure, for dipping
- Vegan whipped cream
- Add all of the vegan crepe batter ingredients into a medium-sized mixing bowl and whisk until completely smooth.
How to Cook the Crepes
- Place a large non-stick saute pan over medium heat. For your reference, I always use a 12-inch saute pan.
- Once the pan is hot, add in 1 tablespoon of butter. Spread the butter around to melt it and evenly coat the saute pan.
- Pour 1/2 cup of the vegan crepe batter into the middle of the saute pan and then immediately pick the pan up and quickly tilt it around to coat the entire bottom of the pan. When the batter no longer wants to move, set the pan back on the burner and gently take the back of a large eating spoon to quickly spread the batter around the pan.
- Now, cook the crepe until the top is dry, around 2 minutes.
- Take a spatula and go around the crepe's outer edges to ensure it is not stuck to the pan. Then, gently flip it over just as you would with a pancake, but be extra gentle.
- Lastly, cook the second side for 1 more minute or until it is cooked through.
- Repeat the last 5 steps with the rest of the crepe batter.
- Fill the crepes with whatever your heart desires, then roll simply roll them. Read the recipe post for filling ideas!
Folded Nutella-Banana Crepe Waffle
- Place a crepe down on a cutting board and make a slit, starting from the crepe's center down to one edge.
- Spread across the vegan Nutella on the bottom left-hand side. Sprinkle the chopped hazelnuts on the top left-hand side. Place the sliced bananas across the top right-hand side. Lastly, sprinkle across the vegan white chocolate chips on the bottom right-hand side.
- Take the Nutella section and fold it up onto the hazelnut section. Press down gently. Then, fold that section over the banana section. Lastly, fold this entire section over onto the white chocolate section. Press down gently to adhere it together somewhat. Now you should have a folded triangular crepe.
- Preheat your waffle iron to it's recommended setting. Usually, I set mine to the highest temperature.
- Spray the inside top and bottom of the waffle iron with non-stick spray or grease it with vegan butter.
- Gently place the stuffed crepe inside, close the iron, and cook for 2 minutes or until it is golden brown and crispy.
- Serve with powdered sugar, maple syrup, and whipped cream!