Oh, do I adore a fresh batch of warm, buttery, sweet cornbread! I never was a cornbread type of a gal until I moved to Florida, where it is quite the popular side dish. Every time I make a homemade batch of my chili, I have to make a batch of my easy vegan cornbread to go alongside it!
1 bowl, 1 spoon, & 10 minutes is all you need to make this easy vegan cornbread!
Yes, it is that simple to make! I literally mix the dry ingredients, add in the wet, and then fold everything just until combined. I then scrape it into a greased baking dish and bake it for twenty minutes. So, you could have a fresh batch of super tasty, easy vegan cornbread in just a short thirty minutes!
I make this with just 7 simple ingredients you probably already have at home!
The only ingredient I can see the average cook not have lying around the kitchen may be yellow cornmeal. Fortunately, it is a super basic ingredient that can be found at any grocery store. The other dry components in this easy vegan cornbread are all-purpose flour, organic cane sugar, baking powder, and salt. The two wet ingredients are almond milk and melted vegan butter. I think those are all fundamental kitchen staples.
Cornbread and chili go together hand in hand.
As I mentioned initially, I always make this cornbread when I make a batch of The Most Delicious Vegan Chili Ever. The two go together so perfectly. I just love how it tastes when I dip or crumble chunks of the cornbread into the chili. Please try eating the two together if you haven’t already, I promise it is delicious.
If you make this vegan cornbread, don’t forget to post a picture to Instagram, tag me @chefsummerstorm, and #gardengrub so I can see your recreation!
The Best and Easiest Vegan Cornbread
- 1 1/4 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup organic cane sugar
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1 cup almond milk, plain, unsweetened
- 1/4 cup + 1 tbsp vegan butter, melted, plus a little more for greasing the baking dish
- *Optional: more melted vegan butter and sugar for finishing off the top of the baked cornbread
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Grease a non-stick 9 1/2 X 9 1/2 inch baking dish with melted vegan butter.
- Into a medium-sized bowl, add the cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt and whisk until combined. Create a hole in the middle.
- Add the almond milk and melted vegan butter into the hole of the dry ingredients. Use a rubber spatula or wooden spoon to fold everything together until just combined and no visible dry ingredients are showing. However, do NOT over mix.
- Now scrape the cornbread batter into the greased baking dish and spread it evenly from corner to corner.
- Set the baking dish onto the middle oven rack and bake it for 20 minutes.
- Allow cooling slightly before cutting into it. *Optional: Brush on top melted vegan butter and lightly sprinkle over some sugar. I then cut mine twice through each way, giving me 9 squares/pieces.