Sometimes we all want a simple plate of classic French toast. This recipe creates just that! It is super quick, simple, and straightforward. I make it with less than ten common ingredients, and it takes only around half an hour from start to finish. In this recipe post, I also share how to turn this classic vegan French toast into sugar-coated cinnamon sticks!
Use thick, hearty, white bread to create the ultimate vegan French toast.
Using good quality bread is an essential key when making French toast, in my opinion. I always opt for a hearty white bread because it can soak up a lot of the batter and flavor, yet it won’t turn into a soggy mess and fall apart. I almost always have a batch of my Super Easy Homemade Bread for Beginners on hand. It is the perfect bread for this recipe!
I make this French toast with zero eggs and zero dairy!
Traditionally people make French toast with eggs and dairy. I, however, do not! Don’t worry, the classic French toast flavor and texture still tastes spot on. Instead of dairy milk, I use plant milk. Instead of eggs, I use something called flax meal. If flax meal sounds like an odd ingredient to you, I promise it isn’t! This ingredient can be found at nearly any grocery store nowadays. It’s the perfect binder for a recipe like this.
Two other key ingredients I throw into the batter are baking powder and cornstarch. The baking powder adds a touch of fluffiness to the outside of the bread, while the cornstarch gives it extra crispiness. The rest of the ingredients are all ones you would expect, like ground cinnamon and vanilla extract.
Turn the French toast into sticks!
French toast sticks are my go-to way of eating French toast lately. I personally always use my homemade bread for this recipe. This bread is on the heartier, chewier side, making it easier to eat the French toast as finger food. I cut the slice of bread into four pieces and coat all four sides of each stick in the batter. Then I cook all sides of each stick per the standard recipe directions and roll them in cinnamon sugar. I love dipping mine in a simple maple butter or a thin blueberry jam! I tell you exactly how create French toast sticks in the TikTok and written recipe below.
If you make this classic vegan French toast, don’t forget to post a picture to Instagram, tag me @chefsummerstorm, and #gardengrub so I can see your recreation!
Classic Vegan French Toast
French Toast Batter
- 1 cup almond or soy milk, plain, unsweetened
- 1 tbsp maple syrup, 100% pure
- 2 tsp vanilla extract, 100% pure
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1 tsp flax meal
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/8 tsp kosher salt
French Toast Batter
- Add all of the ingredients to a shallow bowl and whisk extremely well until there are no visible clumps.
How to Batter and Cook the French Toast
- Dip two pieces of bread at a time into the batter for 30 seconds on each side, perhaps even longer, depending on how thick and hearty your bread is. If making french toast sticks, cut each slice of bread into 3 to 4 sticks and coat all four sides in the batter.
- Place a large saute pan over medium/medium-low heat and melt 2 tablespoons of butter.
- Drip off the excess liquid from the bread and place it into the pan. Cook each side of the bread for 3 minutes. Each time you cook more French toast, you will need to add more butter. If making French toast sticks, I typically cook two sides for the 3 minutes, and then the other two sides for an additional 30 seconds to 1 minute.
- Serve the French toast with as much butter and maple syrup as your heart desires. If you're feeling extra fancy… throw on fresh berries and a dusting of powdered sugar! If you made French toast sticks, combine the sugar and cinnamon on a plate, and roll the sticks in it evenly!
SAVE THIS RECIPE ON PINTEREST!