Craving something ultra junky, nostalgic, and delicious? Look no further than this vegan fried chicken sandwich! It is a vegan chicken “breast” breaded, deep-fried, and coated in creamy buffalo sauce. I then serve it inside a buttered and toasted bun with lettuce, tomato, vegan ranch, and pickles! This vegan fried chicken sandwich is crispy, crunchy, tender, saucy, and FULL of flavor. It is also easier to make than you may think!
How to make VEGAN fried chicken
You may be wondering, especially if you are not vegan, how does one make VEGAN fried chicken? Well, there are a LOT of ways! However, my go-to way is by using Gardein’s lightly seasoned chick’n scallopini in place of chicken breasts. First, I mash two of them together and season both sides with vegan poultry seasoning. Then, I double batter it in a wet and dry mixture. Once it is nice and battered, I deep fry it until it is super crispy, crunchy, and deep golden brown.
After I’ve let the vegan fried chicken rest for a minute or so to drain off any excess oil, I generously coat it in creamy vegan buffalo sauce. My current favorite one is from Primal Kitchen. It is made with cashews, giving it an incredibly creamy texture!
How to build the perfect vegan buffalo chicken sandwich
You can build your vegan buffalo chicken sandwich however you like, but I kept this one relatively simple! I first butter and toast a bun and then fill it with lettuce, tomato, the crispy vegan buffalo chicken, vegan ranch, and pickles! This sandwich tastes incredibly realistic, is full of flavor, and, if I’m honest, extremely saucy and messy too, haha. I also think this crispy buffalo chicken patty would be delicious served with a classic coleslaw on top instead of the previous toppings I mentioned. Either way, you’re going to want LOTS of paper towels because this vegan chicken sandwich, as I said, is a messy one!
If you think this chicken sandwich looks delicious, check out these other recipes of mine!
- Homemade Vegan Ranch (PST! This would pair perfectly in this buffalo chicken sandwich!)
- Vegan Chik-Fil-A Chicken Sandwich
- BBQ Banana Peel Pulled Pork Sandwich
- Mojo Artichoke “Pulled Pork” Vegan Cuban Sandwich
- Realistic Vegan Lobster Roll
- The Ultimate Vegan Meatball Sub
- Vegan Shake Shack Shroom Burger
If you make my crispy vegan buffalo chicken sandwich recipe, don’t forget to post a picture to Instagram, tag me @chefsummerstorm, and #gardengrub so I can see your recreation!
Vegan Fried Chicken Sandwich with Buffalo Sauce & Ranch
- Cooking thermometer
Chick'n Dry Batter
Chick'n Wet Batter
You Will Also Need
- 1 bun of choice, buttered and toasted
- 1 piece lettuce of choice (I used butter lettuce)
- 1 slice tomato, seasoned with a pinch of salt and pepper
- Primal Kitchen ranch dressing (Or your favorite vegan ranch!), however much your heart desires
- 3 dill pickle slices
- Thaw the chick'n scallopini in the refrigerator. Once the chick'n is thawed, gently mash them together to form one patty.
- Season both sides of the chick'n with poultry seasoning. Set aside.
- Preheat a deep fryer or a pot with at least 6 inches of vegetable oil to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. *Use a thermometer!!!
- In a wide, shallow bowl, whisk together all of the dry batter ingredients.
- In another wide, shallow bowl, whisk together all of the wet batter ingredients.
- Carefully coat the chicken into the wet batter, then into the dry batter, then back into the wet batter, and then back into the dry. Make sure you coat it extremely well each time.
- Shake off the excess flour and then carefully place the chick'n patty into the oil. Deep fry it for 6 minutes, flipping it over and around as needed to get it evenly crispy.
- Carefully remove the fried chick'n from the oil and place it on a wire rack to drain off any excess oil.
How to Assemble the Chick'n Sandwich
- If you'd like to toast your bun, melt about one tablespoon of vegan butter in a saute pan over medium heat. Once it's melted, rub the insides of the bun in it and toast them for 1 to 2 minutes, or until golden brown and slightly crispy.
- Coat the fried chick'n in as much buffalo sauce as you'd like. I typically do about 1/4 of a cup.
- To build the sandwich, first place down the bottom bun. Then, top it with the lettuce, tomato, pinch of salt and pepper, buffalo chick'n, ranch, pickles, and finally, the top bun!