Raise your hand if you love burritos! You can’t see, but I am definitely raising mine! Hahaha. These burritos are packed full of good things, like avocado, brown rice, seasoned black beans, vegan scrambled eggs, greens, and veggies. They are super filling, full of protein, and have tons of different flavors and textures. These vegan breakfast burritos are also incredibly easy to make!
What’s your favorite breakfast?
I need to know… are you a savory or a sweet breakfast lover? I am both! Typically, I lean more towards the savory side, but I have a sweet tooth, too! If you’re a savory breakfast person, I think you’ll love this healthy, protein-packed vegan burrito recipe!
These vegan breakfast burritos are hearty, earthy, flavorful, soft, crunchy, chewy, and healthier than a traditional burrito. What I love about burritos, in general, is that they are incredibly customizable. So, if you dislike or are allergic to an ingredient I use, swap it out for a different one! Or, if you want to jazz the burrito up even more, by, let’s say, adding in a cheese sauce, feel free!
I make these protein-packed burritos with simple ingredients!
First, let’s talk about tortillas. Let’s be real here; tortillas aren’t all that healthy. But, I did stumble across one that is much healthier than a traditional flour tortilla, and it wraps and tastes pretty good, too! They are the burrito size grain-free tortillas by Siete. They are paleo, non-GMO, gluten-free, dairy-free, soy-free, and vegan! I will admit, they have an odd smell to them when they’re being heated, but for a “healthy” tortilla, I think they’re fantastic! Just make sure you follow the preparation instructions to a T to avoid them cracking and drying out. PSST, a hot tip when heating the tortillas is to grease the pan with a bit of cooking oil spray to prevent the tortillas from sticking to the pan!
I then smother the bottom half of the tortilla with avocado and top it with cooked brown rice, seasoned black beans, massaged kale, shredded carrot, salsa, and vegan scrambled eggs. This burrito is simple yet full of delicious flavors, textures, and colors! Oh, and just one burrito will give you around a whopping 23 grams of protein!
Other burrito filling ideas:
- Skip the scrambled Just Egg and use my Chickpea Scramble instead!
- Vegan cheese sauce (My Vegan Salsa Con Queso is delicious in these burritos!)
- Shredded vegan cheese (Like cheddar or pepper jack!)
- Any mixed greens or spinach
- Guacamole instead of plain avocado
- Roasted Idaho or sweet potatoes
- Sauteed bell peppers
I am happy to announce that this video and blog post are in collaboration with The Viral Energy Institute!
If you make this plant based breakfast burrito, don’t forget to post a picture to Instagram, tag me @chefsummerstorm, and #gardengrub so I can see your recreation!
Healthy, Protein-Packed Vegan Breakfast Burritos
- 1/2 cup whole grain instant brown rice
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/8 tsp kosher salt
Seasoned Black Beans
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1/4 cup yellow onion, small diced
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and minced
- One 15 ounce can black beans, plain
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/4 tsp cumin
- 1/4 tsp chili powder
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
For One Burrito You Will Need
- 1 burrito size Siete grain free tortilla (Or any extra-large flour tortilla of your choice!)
- 1/4 of an avocado
- 1/4 cup cooked brown rice (From recipe above)
- 1/4 cup seasoned black beans (From recipe above)
- 1/2 cup kale, chopped and massaged with a tiny pinch of salt and pepper
- 2 tbsp carrot, peeled and shredded
- 2 tbsp favorite salsa or pico de gallo
- 1/2 cup vegan scrambled eggs (From recipe above)
- You may need to make cooking adjustments depending on the brand of brown rice you have, but I will share how I cook mine.
- Add the water to a small saucepot and place it over high heat.
- Once it is boiling, stir the rice in, and cover the pot. Reduce the heat down to the lowest setting and simmer the rice for 5 minutes.
- Remove the pot from the heat and allow it to rest for 7 minutes or until all of the liquid has been absorbed. Then, fluff it with a fork.
Seasoned Black Beans
- Place a medium-sized saucepot over medium heat.
- Once hot, add in the olive oil, followed by the diced yellow onions. Saute them for 2 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add in the minced garlic and cook for 30 seconds, stirring constantly.
- Drain and rinse off the can of black beans very well.
- Add the black beans and the rest of the ingredients into the saucepot and stir well.
- Turn the temperature to medium-high. Once the beans are boiling, turn the heat down to low and simmer for 3 minutes, or until there is little liquid left.
Vegan Scrambled Eggs
- Place a large, non-stick saute pan over medium heat.
- Once hot, add in the vegan butter. Once the butter is melted, shake the bottle of Just Egg really well and pour it into the saute pan.
- Season it with salt and pepper.
- Stir occasionally and cook just as you would with regular scrambled eggs!
How to Make One Burrito
- Ensure you have all of your recipes made and ingredients cut/ready to go before adding anything onto the tortilla.
- Heat your tortilla in a large, lightly greased, non-stick saute pan over medium heat on both sides for 15 seconds or until it is warm and more pliable. This will make it easier to roll the burrito.
- Smash the avocado down the center bottom half of the tortilla, leaving the tortilla's outer one inch clean and untouched.
- Place the brown rice directly on top of the avocado, followed by the black beans, kale, carrot, salsa, and scrambled eggs.
- Fold the sides of the tortilla in over the filling. Then, carefully fold the bottom half over itself into the center. Continue rolling the burrito up, holding the sides in as you roll it.
- If desired, wrap the burrito in a piece of tin foil that is lined with parchment paper. This will make it more secure and less messy to eat!
Welcome to my tip section of the vegan breakfast burrito recipe! Here I provide my top tips to help you perfect the recipe. Sometimes, I also give substitute suggestions that I think you may find helpful.
- Yes, you can freeze and reheat these burritos! To freeze them, wrap them tightly in parchment paper and then tin foil. When you’re ready to reheat them, remove the tin foil and microwave the burrito wrapped in parchment paper on high for 5 minutes, flipping it over halfway through. Allow it to cool down for one minute. If any of the liquid from inside the burrito (perhaps from the pico de gallo) leaked out, re-wrap the burrito in a new piece of parchment paper and then back into a piece of tin foil!
Check out these other delicious breakfast recipes!
- Vegan Egg Bites
- The Ultimate Vegan French Toast Layered with Berry Cream Cheese
- Vegan Fried Chicken and Waffles with Cajun Maple Butter
- Easy and Flavorful Vegan Chickpea Scramble
- Vegan Buttermilk Biscuits and Realistic Sausage Gravy
- Breakfast Vegan Egg Rolls with Tobasco Maple Syrup