When you hear watermelon salsa, you may first make a weird face and think it sounds kind of gross. BUT, I am here to tell you that this recipe is actually beyond delicious. The watermelon adds a lovely touch of sweetness and juiciness to the salsa that screams summertime! This salsa is not only sweet but also tangy, spicy, and of course, full of flavor. If you’re a lover of salsas, you NEED to try this vegan watermelon salsa ASAP!
Watermelon . . . Salsa!?
YES! And it is SO good! Since watermelon has a relatively neutral flavor, it simply adds sweetness and juiciness to the salsa.
I mix the diced watermelon with more fruits and veggies, like mango, cucumber, red onion, and jalapeno. Then I stir in fresh herbs, lime juice, agave nectar, and tajin! To complete the salad, I carefully fold in fresh, diced avocado and vegan feta cheese. The combination of fresh fruit, veggies, herbs, creamy avocado, and feta creates the most delicious and unique salsa for the summertime!
This vegan watermelon salsa is super juicy, sweet, tangy, spicy, and packed with flavor. It’s honestly addicting, so don’t be surprised if you eat the whole batch the day you make it! I love eating the salsa with blue corn tortilla chips, but it would also taste incredible served inside some simple vegan fish tacos!
Customize the Salsa to Your Liking
For example, if you hate watermelon, first of all, I’m surprised you’re in this recipe post… but secondly, replace it with another fruit! Try swapping out the watermelon for pineapple or even more mango! If you hate cilantro, leave it out or replace it with more basil. If you despise avocado or vegan feta cheese, leave it out! Of course, I LOVE the way this vegan watermelon salsa tastes as is, but I totally understand there may be a particular ingredient in the salsa that you’re not too keen about. If you make any ingredient swaps, I’d love to know how you enjoyed it!
If you make my watermelon salsa or any of my recipes, don’t forget to post a picture to Instagram, tag me @chefsummerstorm, and #gardengrub so I can see your recreation!
The Best Vegan Watermelon Salsa Recipe
- 2 cups watermelon, cut into 1/4 inch cubes
- 1/2 cup mango, cut into 1/4 inch cubes
- 1/2 cup cucumber, cut into 1/4 inch cubes
- 1/4 cup red onion, finely diced
- 1/2 jalapeno, finely diced
- 2 tbsp fresh basil, thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp fresh cilantro leaves, roughly chopped
- Zest of half of a lime
- 2 tbsp freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1 1/2 tsp agave nectar, light
- 1 tsp tajin, plus more for garnishing
- 1/2 avocado, small diced
- 1/2 cup favorite vegan feta cheese, plus more for garnishing (I love using Trader Joe's or Violife's!)
- Add all ingredients, except for the vegan feta cheese and avocado, to a large mixing bowl. Gently stir until evenly combined.
- Now add the avocado and crumble the feta into the bowl. Try not to crumble the feta into teeny-tiny pieces because I find after stirring the salsa, the feta sometimes melts away instead of staying in little chunks. Gently fold everything together until the salsa is well combined.
- Garnish with another crumbling of vegan feta cheese, a heavy sprinkling of tajin, and a few small cilantro leaves. Then, enjoy with your favorite tortilla chips! I love using blue corn tortilla chips for this particular salsa. Or, try serving the salsa in your favorite vegan fish tacos!