This banana bread is so quick and easy to make, and you wouldn’t even know it’s gluten-free OR vegan! It’s perfectly moist, flavorful, and can be jazzed up with chocolate chips or your favorite nuts. I make this vegan banana bread with slightly healthier ingredients than traditional banana bread, yet the taste and texture are not compromised. I cannot wait for you to give this recipe a try!
This Banana Bread Recipe is the REAL DEAL
This gluten-free, vegan banana bread tastes incredible! If you gave a slice to someone, they would have no idea it’s gluten-free and vegan. It’s THAT good!!
I created this vegan banana bread recipe a couple of years ago when I was a pastry chef in a restaurant, and it was the number one pastry seller. It was so popular that I had to continuously up my par for how many breads I made each day because it continued to sell out.
This banana bread is incredibly moist, soft, slightly fluffy, and full of flavor. Of course, it tastes like bananas, but it also has a subtle butter flavor from the coconut oil (which I know seems odd, but it’s true!). In addition, it’s got a touch of cinnamon and vanilla, accompanied by chocolate chips or nuts, depending on which route you choose. I almost always choose dark chocolate chips, but my second go-to is walnuts!
An IMPORTANT Note!!!
For most recipes, I think it’s okay to substitute other brands for specific ingredients. However, you MUST use my specified gluten-free flour with this banana bread recipe. In my opinion, gluten-free recipes are tedious. All gluten-free flours are made entirely differently, yielding a different final food product. I’ve created this gluten-free banana bread specifically around Bob’s Red Mill gluten-free all-purpose flour, which means I have specific measurements of the other ingredients to match perfectly with that flour. With that being said, I have made this banana bread with other gluten-free flour, and it does work, but the final bread is nowhere near as delicious. Often the texture is gummy or tough, which is not how banana bread should be!
If you make my gluten-free, vegan banana bread recipe (or any of my recipes!), don’t forget to post a picture to Instagram, tag me @chefsummerstorm, and #gardengrub so I can see your recreation!
Check Out These Other Awesome Bread Recipes!
- How to Make Perfect Vegan Naan Bread
- The Best and Easiest Vegan Cornbread
- 4-Ingredient Easy Homemade Bread for Beginners
- How to Make Copycat Vegan Hawaiian Rolls
How to Make the Best Gluten-Free, Vegan Banana Bread
- Neutral flavored cooking oil spray, such as canola or coconut
- 2 tbsp flax meal
- 6 tbsp water
- 1 3/4 cups Bob's Red Mill gluten free all purpose flour (Please use this EXACT flour, otherwise you will have a different final outcome!!)
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 3/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 3 bananas, VERY ripe
- 1/3 cup almond milk, plain, unsweetened (You can also use cashew or soy milk.)
- 2 tsp raw apple cider vinegar
- 1 1/4 cup coconut sugar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract, 100% pure
- 1/2 cup coconut oil, melted
- 1 1/2 cups vegan chocolate chips, chopped raw walnuts or pecans
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit. Grease a non-stick 11" by 6" bread pan with cooking oil spray.
- In a small bowl, stir together the flax meal and water. Let it rest for 10 minutes, stirring it occasionally to keep it from separating. This creates flax "eggs."
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt. Set aside.
- In another mixing bowl, mash the bananas into a puree. Then, add in the milk, vinegar, sugar, vanilla extract, melted oil, and the flax egg mixture. Whisk until evenly combined.
- Pour the wet batter into the dry mix and stir until evenly combined and there are NO lumps of flour.
- Add in 1 cup of the chocolate chips and stir until they're evenly distributed.
- Scrape the batter into the greased bread pan and spread it evenly from corner to corner.
- Evenly sprinkle across the other 1/2 cup of chocolate chips.
- Bake the bread on the middle oven rack for 1 hour and 15 minutes, rotating the pan after about an hour.
- Allow the bread to cool completely, gently remove it and cut it into slices!
SAVE THIS RECIPE TO PINTEREST!