These masala peanuts are an effortless and delicious snack. They are super crunchy, slightly spicy, full of flavor, and VERY addicting. Seriously, you will not be able to keep your hand away from them! If you’ve never had vegan masala peanuts before, then you are in for a serious treat!
What Are Masala Peanuts?
Masala peanuts are a common snack in India. Typically peanuts are coated in a slightly wet batter made with chickpea flour and spices, then deep-fried. I prepare mine very similarly, but I air fry mine to keep them on the healthier side. Often they are served with tea or coffee, but they also may be eaten as a snack on their own or used in recipes and dishes.
This Recipe is Quick and Easy
These vegan masala peanuts require one bowl and take around 5 minutes to put together. I mix the peanuts and dry ingredients, incorporate the wet ingredients, and air fry the mixture. The result is crispy and crunchy coated peanuts that are slightly spicy, salty, and full of unique flavor. These are seriously addicting, so don’t be surprised if you find yourself eating the entire batch by yourself in one sitting.
These Vegan Masala Peanuts-
- are super easy and quick to make
- are air fried, making them a healthier alternative to deep-frying
- stay fresh in an airtight container for weeks
- are vegan AND gluten-free
- make for a great snack and pair well with coffee or your favorite tea (try chai tea!)
- are the perfect grab-and-go snack for road trips
If you make my air fried vegan masala peanuts (or any of my recipes!), don’t forget to post a picture to Instagram, tag me @chefsummerstorm, and #gardengrub so I can see your recreation!
How to Make Air Fried Vegan Masala Peanuts
- Air fryer
- Preheat your air fryer to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Add the peanuts and all seasonings and spices to a mixing bowl. Stir until evenly combined.
- Add the agave nectar, coconut oil, and water into the bowl and quickly stir to combine. Stop mixing once a slight batter has formed on the nuts and there are no visible dry ingredients.
- Lay the peanuts down in the air fryer rack in a single layer. Do not overlap. Lightly spray them with cooking oil spray.
- Air fry the peanuts for 3 minutes, give them a gentle stir, and air fry for 2 to 3 more minutes or until they are lightly golden brown and the batter is no longer wet but crispy. NOTE: These get more crunchy once they've completely cooled down.
Welcome to my tip section of the vegan masala peanuts recipe! Here I provide my top tips to help you perfect the recipe. Sometimes, I also give substitute suggestions that I think you may find helpful.
- I have not tried baking or deep frying these masala peanuts. I have only ever air fried them. However, I think these would bake great! I’d recommend baking them on a parchment paper-lined sheet pan and following the exact instructions that I provide for air frying them. As for deep frying, my best recommendation would be to deep fry them in vegetable oil set to 350 degrees Fahrenheit for about 2 to 3 minutes or until golden brown and crispy. Please let me know if you give these other cooking methods a try; I’d love to know how the peanuts turned out!
SAVE THIS RECIPE ON PINTEREST!