If you need a last-minute recipe to make for a get-together, this is the one for you! These vegan chili cheese pigs in a blanket take almost no effort and time to prepare. They’re super delicious and adorable, too! So, whether it’s the 4th of July, you’ve got a potluck to go to, or you’re simply craving comfort food, these vegan pigs in a blanket have you covered!
What Are Pigs in a Blanket?
Pigs in a blanket are an appetizer containing little sausages wrapped inside a pastry. Typically people use hot dogs, but it’s not uncommon to use other kinds of sausage as well. Then, the meat is usually wrapped in crescent rolls, but again, they can be wrapped in other pastries like biscuits, pretzels, or puff pastry! Pigs in a blanket are often served for the holidays, like the 4th of July or Christmas, and at cookouts, potlucks, you name it!
Quick and Easy
These chili cheese vegan pigs in a blanket take me less than 10 minutes to prepare! This recipe is so effortless that I don’t know if I can technically even call it a recipe! Nothing in this recipe is made from scratch, but sometimes that’s the best when you need an appetizer in a pinch of time.
I fill crescent rolls with chili, American cheese, and a piece of hotdog, all store-bought and all vegan-friendly, of course! Then, I roll them up, sprinkle them with smoked paprika and sea salt, and bake them until they’re puffed up, golden brown, and warm and bubbly inside. I typically eat these plain, but they’re also great dipped in whole grain mustard. And these vegan pigs in a blanket are not just a tasty appetizer for adults; they’re also a fun finger food for children!
More Recipes Perfect for Holidays, BBQs, Get-Togethers, Etc.!
- Vegan Cheeseburger Dip
- Vegan BLT Potato Salad
- Vegan Watermelon Salsa
- Vegan Beer Cheese Fondue
- Vegan French Onion Dip
- Vegan Salsa Con Queso
- Vegan Jalapeno Popper Dip
- Vegan Taco Dip
- Vegan Italian Cheesesteak Sliders
If you make my chili cheese vegan pigs in a blanket or any of my recipes, don’t forget to post a picture to Instagram, tag me @chefsummerstorm, and #gardengrub so I can see your recreation!
Chili Cheese Vegan Pigs in a Blanket
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Line a large sheet pan with a piece of parchment paper.
- Evenly space and lay out the pieces of crescent rolls, making sure to place the triangle-shaped dough with the tallest point facing away from you.
- Place roughly 2 teaspoons of the chili on the bottom third of the dough. Do NOT overfill it, or the chili will just spill out of the roll when rolling and/or baking.
- Place a small piece of American cheese on top of the chili, followed by a half of a hot dog.
- Starting from the bottom, carefully and tightly roll the crescent up. Then, place the roll seam side down on the sheet pan.
- Lightly sprinkle each roll with smoked paprika, then gently rub it in with your fingers to evenly distribute it.
- Lightly sprinkle them with a pinch of salt. If the salt isn't sticking, gently press it into the dough.
- Bake the rolls on the middle oven rack for 13 minutes, rotating the pan halfway through. *The oven temperature and cooking time may need to be adjusted if you use a different brand of crescent rolls. If you use another brand other than mine, follow the instructions on your packaging instead.
- Enjoy as-is or dip in whole grain mustard!